Sunday, November 23, 2014

To the Heritage Syrup Festival and beyond!


Spinning at the Heritage Syrup Festival  in Henderson, TX, on November 8th.

Bright and early on the morning of November 8, 2014, four happy spinners sat down at their wheels at the Heritage Syrup Festival that was taking place in the East Texas town of Henderson.  It started off a bit chilly, and never really warmed up, the sun preferring to hide behind the clouds most of the day. Nevertheless, there were probably close to 10,000 visitors at the Festival, and we enjoyed demonstrating our craft and answering some really great questions from the crowds. I have demonstrated at quite a few venues over the years, and I must say that the folks at this one asked probably the best questions ever!  I was very impressed.

And, of course, several times we were asked if we could spin straw into gold.  What would a demonstration of spinning in public be without being asked that question at least once?!

Tammy spun some bamboo and llama fibers.  Jo spun some lovely variegated purple Merino wool roving, while Donna spun some of her homegrown white cotton, and I spun up some Black Welsh Mountain/Shetland wool roving.  The crowd was fascinated with the various fibers we were working with as well as the variety of  our spinning wheels.  

Tammy, Jo and Donna spinning and fielding questions from interested Heritage Syrup Festival attendees.

In the early afternoon, a young lady of about 11 or 12, along with her mother and two younger sisters, made her way up to us from the crowd.  As it turns out, she was already a knitter and loved and appreciated yarn!  She and her sisters were all drawn into the motion of the wheels, the treadling, and the magical transformation of the yarn being made from the carded fibers.  She told us that she wanted to learn to make her own yarn, and being home-schooled, she thought she could incorporate that into social studies or history with no problem.  Wow!  That made our hearts really nice and warm!

To be able to pass on our love of fibers, spinning and weaving to the younger generations is always a thrill for us, and we were especially pleased to watch it happen right in front of our eyes!  The two younger girls seemed very interested, also.  Who knows?  Maybe, just maybe, right there on that spot, three future fiber sisters were created to join our ranks!

Donna is the one who invited me to join them at the Festival this year.
Her shawl is hand-knit from hand-spun mohair yarn!  Awesome!

It was mid-afternoon when a young couple with a pit bull on a leash came up to inquire about the spinning process, and, just before they turned away, I asked if I could pet their dog.  I told them I had recently been attacked and bitten by a neighbor's pit bulls, and that I wanted a chance to erase the negative energy that had covered me ever since.  Folks, I want you to know that this was a very beautiful, well-behaved, calm pit bull named Max.  He was a lovely shade of blue gray with white, and his breeding was impeccable!  He looked into my eyes and I into his, and I found reassurance that not all pit bulls were as vicious as those inbred, abused dogs that my neighbor owns.  I feel cleansed of my traumatic experience.

We were each awarded a quart of fresh (HOT!) cane syrup as thanks for
demonstrating our fiber craft with the crowds.  Yummy!   

Across from where we were seated all day, a mule turned a cane-breaking machine and the pulp was boiled nearby in huge iron pots to make the cane syrup.  I should have gotten a photo of that, but next year that will be first thing on my list.  And second will be getting a bag of kettle corn before the line gets to be too long!  I can see myself attending this Festival and spinning with my friends for years to come.

Spinning at the Heritage Syrup Festival got me back into playing with my fibers, finally.  I had been in one of those funky moods lately, where I just couldn't get going on my spinning projects, or knitting for that matter.  I was having a hard time making the transition from gardening and reading to spinning, knitting and reading.  Sitting and spinning with three fiber sisters, however, got me back in the proper groove.

Black Welsh Mountain roving (left), a blend of Black Welsh Mountain and white Shetland (right).

The fibers in the photo above are what I worked on while at the Festival.  I have been collecting Black Welsh Mountain roving, 8 oz. at a time, from Suzanne at Fire Ant Ranch (nka Fiber Arts Republic) over the last several years.  I was not sure what I wanted to make with it, but I knew that I wanted enough yarn to make a statement of some kind.  You see, I am of Welsh extraction on both sides of my family tree, and felt a connection to Wales and King Arthur long before I discovered my actual heritage.  And besides, I am the black sheep of my family!

"ewe with twins"
Black Welsh Mountain ewe and lambs from Desert Weyr Farm, Paonia, CO.

Shetland sheep produce a longer, softer wool that comes in a variety of colors.

I have just recently decided on what I want to make from all Black Welsh Mountain yarn I have spun. Since the Black Welsh Mountain fleece is not for "next to the skin" projects, I had long ago decided I wanted to make a cape, ruana or coat, but which ?!, and what pattern ?!  Yep, decisions, decisions .... arghhh! Well, while I spin, I do a lot of thinking, of course, and I have finally decided to make a winter coat in a very simple style that I knitted for someone many years ago.

Skeins of my Black Welsh Mountain yarn collection so far.  The various colors are achieved by the
fact that some have Shetland or Gulf Coast Native wool or some dyed mohair locks added to the
roving for a bit of variety.  

It will be made up of knitted squares, joined for body and sleeves, with a ribbing all around the edges which will incorporate a collar of some kind.  And, of course, there will be pockets!  The piecing of the squares will make use of the fact that some yarns have a bit of added color in them.  There may or may not be a pattern in the center of the back, but I think that there probably will be.  I also have not decided if I will knit all of the squares and then join, or join as I go.  More decisions!  Meanwhile, I am back to spinning, and my heart is singing!

Part of the reason for my stalling on the spinning is because I have been in a dither about cleaning before my older son, Matt, gets here for Thanksgiving week.  But, I have finally reasoned, he is coming to visit me, not my house.  And, as long as he brings his allergy medicine, he should be alright among the dust and cat hair.  I hope.  Still, I do need to make some sort of effort on my weekends, but so many other things keep calling my name!!!

After the frigid temps of the past week that may continue into Thanksgiving Week, Matt also needs to bring some warm clothes with him from California!



Spinning happily along these days here at HeartSong Farm!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

As usual, I loved this week's blog. I have been to the festival many times and seen the spinners there. I'm always so envious of their skill and of the beautiful works of art they create. I love the silver/gray colors of your fiber. That coat is going to be gorgeous.

Unknown said...

Wanda, I bet that within the next two years you will be sitting and spinning with us at the Heritage Syrup Festival!
That is a challenge to you, I have thrown down the gauntlet, friend!