Sunday, November 16, 2014

All creatures, great & small

All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures, great and small.

These timeless words by Cecil Frances Alexander, published in her book, Hymns For Little Children (1848), have spoken to me ever since I was a little girl.  The past two weeks have brought a number of creatures to my farm's door, porch and wheelbarrow, and I wanted to share them with you!

Female cardinal feeling somewhat woozy after a slam-bang into my bedroom
window.

Sunday afternoon, November 1, the cats and I heard a very loud bang on my bedroom window that overlooks the back porch.  It sounded like a gun shot, louder than a bird hitting it, but it turned out that is exactly what it was.  I went outside, and huddling under the porch swing, was a very dazed and confused female cardinal.  She not only a had a really bad headache, her beak could not close, one eye was half-closed, and a dark fluid was coming out of one side of her beak!  Look closely above.  Poor dear thing!

Feeling somewhat better

After about 10 minutes of my stroking her feathers and talking to her, she was able to grip my index finger with more strength and stand straighter, although her left eye was still half-closed.  A few minutes more, and her beak (jaw?) could close and the fluid (saliva?) stopped flowing from her mouth.  She looked at me when I spoke and seemed to enjoy the stroking of her feathers.  I was able to admire up close and personal all her lovely shades of brown and red.

Feeling better and almost ready to fly again!

As I continued to stroke her back and to speak soothingly to her, her balance improved, and her beak was able to finally close properly.  As her grip on my finger-perch grew tighter, I gently tossed my hand, palm upwards, into the air a few times.  She kept her balance by spreading her wings, but she was not quite ready to leave my protection.  I decided that I would take her to the arbor between the backyard and the vegetable garden where I felt she would be safe from Max the Outside Cat.  Fortunately, he was nowhere to be seen at the moment.

I left the safety of my back porch and started toward the arbor.  A few feet from my destination, Ms. Cardinal took flight and landed near the top of the crepe myrtle nearby.  She was back on her own!

Tadpoles in the wheelbarrow full of rain water!  Several hundred of them, at least!

The weekend that I was planting my garlic and winter greens, I passed by my wheelbarrow and saw a very interesting, unexpected sight ....  tadpoles swimming around in the rainwater from a recent heavy downpour.  It brought back memories of scooping up ditch water full of tadpoles in mason jars, and watching them grow into frogs or toads!  I think that it has gotten too cold for the little fellas to survive to be frogs, but I will be keeping an eye on them, for sure.  It has been in the low 30's, or lower even, for several nights here this week.

A leopard frog, probably one of the parents of the tadpoles in the wheelbarrow.

Leopard frogs are really quite lovely with their spots and sleek, moist skin.  They can make almost as much noise as a bullfrog sometimes.  BURRUMPH, BURRUMPH!  Sometimes I find them in one of the llama water troughs in the pasture. I remember finding one several weeks ago, after a lighter rainfall, in this same wheelbarrow!

A yellow jacket (left) and honey bee (right) on a tassel of goldenrod near the wheelbarrow.

My little green (sometimes brown) back porch friend in a bucket of rainwater.

This little guy (a green anole) is the one who lives behind my door-facing on the back porch.  He has startled me a number of times this Fall when I reached to open the door and he jumped out.  I swear he said "Boo!" once! It is unclear to me as to whether he was intentionally swimming or he fell into the bucket accidentally.  But, he looked pretty water-logged to me.  I think he appreciated my helping him get out of the water when I did!

I put him on one of the vines that covers the arbor off the back porch.

Soon he was relaxing and enjoying the sunshine on his back.  I love these little creatures!

I grew up calling these cuties "chameleons" because they could turn from bright green to brown, depending on what they were perched on.  We loved to watch them run along the top of our redwood slat fence, and we loved to try and catch them, too.  Sometimes, we would grab them by their tails and we would be left holding only the tail as the lizard scrambled away!  You could always tell the ones who had lost their tails at some point because, when the tail grew back, it never quite matched the original.

The opossum on the back porch of HeartSong Farm.

Not a great photo, and although that is Max's food bowl, that is definitely NOT Max! What it is, is a
very plump opossum that has been regularly visiting my back porch the last few weeks.  So far, I have not been able to get it's face in a photo.  It is very wary, this 'possum!  And it has lots of tiny sharp teeth that I would not want to mess with!  It tends to "grin" at me, and then go back to munching on the kibble.

Now this is an adorable little fellow, don't you think?!

About a week after the opossum started coming around, a young raccoon began coming around about 30 minutes later than that early diner.  I guess word had gotten around that food was available on my back porch?! 

This is the second raccoon that we have had as a visitor over the years here at HeartSong Farm.  I think we will name this one Bandit.  The first one, Rocky, has not been seen for two or three years, and this is a young one, probably coming into its second winter.  When he stands he is about 24 inches tall, and is only slightly leery of me.  I can get within two feet of him, with no problem.  He has growled at me only once, and since then seems to have accepted my presence as non-confrontational.

I have always wanted a pet raccoon, for real.  My daddy's mother had one when he was growing up, in St. Petersburg, FL.  I am so tempted to try to catch this one, but I know it is really not a good idea.  So, I make sure there is always a bit of dry cat food on the back porch at night, and that way I get to observe it up close and to enjoy it in that way.

One night this week, I felt a pair of eyes staring at me as I sat reading in my den chair by the window overlooking the back porch.  I turned to look, and there was Bandit, front paws on the window ledge, watching me through the screen! Well, turnabout is fair play, I guess!

Ben says that he has seen this youngster climbing high in the pine tree near his "man cave," so it must have found Rocky's old nest.


A Hispid Cotton Rat.  Isn't he (I checked!) adorable?!  Looks similar to a hamster to me.

Last Sunday, I was at my computer in the dining room, when something caught my eye outside by the clothesline. It was Max the Outdoor Cat tossing something in the air.  Oh no!  I could see that it was a rodent of some kind, bigger than a mouse, but smaller than a gopher.  And, strangely, it seemed like it was playing a game with Max.  It was not even trying to get away, but would run around to his backside, then around him again, then leap up in the air on his own, and then crouch in the grass right next to him.  This was strange.  Strange, indeed!

I grabbed my camera and an old towel and went outside, intrigued.  Max walked off, but the little critter was hidden in the grass, crouched down and really quite hard to see.  After several attempts to locate it, and then capture it with the towel, I was at last successful.  What I discovered was that it was neither a mouse or a gopher, nor was it the kind of rat that I would have expected.  It's coat was rough, like a nutria, but he was way too small to be one.

He has a very coarse coat of dark brown and golden brown, and is about the size of my hand.

He was nervous at first, but, in no time at all, was relaxed enough for me to examine him and to release my tight grip on him.  He even felt comfortable enough to perch on the towel in my hand.  I had seen his sharp, yellow rodent teeth and I was not taking his calm acceptance of me for granted!  As you can see from the photo above, however, that Max had, indeed, injured him on his tail.

Eventually, I put him back in the grass near the clothesline, and he scooted off towards the back pasture fence.  I immediately went inside and grabbed my Peterson's Field Guide to Mammals of North America.  I discovered that he was a Hispid Cotton Rat, and are known for making runways and tunnels in high grassy areas.  I wonder how many are out there in my back pasture?!

And then there was this on the kitchen floor!




What the ..... ??!!!  This sure isn't one of the typical Dust Bunnies found in my home!  I have the feeling that Godfrey had something to do with this, whatcha wanta bet?!




Axl (aka The Big Guy) enjoys watching creatures, both great and small, from his perch at the dining room window. There is absolutely no way he could fit on the window sill like an "ordinary" cat.  He is, after all, a Maine Coon cat!

With the very cold temperatures here this week, out in the pastures the llamas have been looking like smoke-breathing dragons in the early mornings!  Steam rises off their woolly backs from their body heat.  I have been trying to get a photo of that, but I am having trouble pressing the buttons with my gloves on.  It is almost time to buy a new camera, I think.  The buttons on this one keep getting stuck!


There are a lot of interesting creatures here on HeartSong Farm!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love reading your posts. They draw me in and I read every word. Thank you for sharing your adventures.

Unknown said...

You are most welcome! I will keep on writing, if you will keep on reading!!!