Friday, March 7, 2014

Spring 2014 has sprung?

Spring 2014 is trying so hard to spring, but Old Mother Winter keeps showing back up at the door this year! It is like the weather is on a roller coaster and the jet stream is to blame, and something called the Arctic vortex.  This past weekend we had a glorious 70° Saturday again, giving me a chance to putter in my garden and walk around and take photos of some of the blooms showing up in my yard before I went inside and finished doing my taxes.


forsythia heartsongfarm.blogspot.com
Forsythia, a favorite of mine, along the drive to the house


curious llamas with pear blossoms heartsongfarm.blogspot.com
Pear tree blooms near front pasture.  Moonshadow and Armando curious as to what I am doing!


The temperature dropped throughout the day on Sunday until, by dark, we began to have rain, then freezing rain, and finally sleet.  I woke up Monday morning to 23° and ice in the water troughs.....again!  What is the deal?! About two hours north of my farm there was lots of ice and thousands lost power.  I feel sorry for all the birds, wildlife, and flowering bushes and trees that are as confused, if not more so, than we humans are with this shift in normal weather patterns that has been occurring all over the country, bringing severe cold weather with it.  Do the flora and fauna of the earth know about the Arctic vortex? 

In town, the red buds were already budding out, as were the salmon-colored quince bushes and perky yellow jonquils. Everything in town always blooms about one week ahead of those on my farm because I am a bit north and east of there. It is amazing to me what a difference those four miles can make.  It also makes it nice for me, who gets to see everything bloom, essentially, twice as long as those who live, work and stay in town.

I found these precious little johnny-jump-ups in the front yard.  Aren't they adorable?  Like tiny, elfin faces in the grass, smiling up at anyone who looks down!


Johnny-Jump-Ups at heartsongfarm.blogspot.com
Johnny-Jump-Ups

One morning this week, going to work and about 1 mile from the outskirts of town, I spotted a full grown coyote trotting out of the woods on the right hand side of the highway.  It paused and let me and the truck behind me pass, and then, in my rear view mirror, I watched him trot across the two lane road, duck under the fence, and continue into the pasture beyond.  What a privilege to see "him" or "her" going about their business!  Coyotes are a favorite of mine, and it is such a thrill for me to see one, "alive and in person".  I feel blessed to live where I can hear them yip-yipping and howling to each other long into the night.  I don't even have to have my windows open to hear them, they are that close, and loud!


A typical East Texas coyote

On my walkabout on Saturday, taking photos, I saw honey bees already out, busy and a-buzzing.  It worries me when I read that they are losing many of their habitats.  Our earth needs them so much to help propagate our fruits and vegetables, not to mention the yummy honey they produce all by themselves!  I try to do my part by planting things that will attract them, and I enjoy seeing them active on my farm.  One year, they built a huge nest and comb in a tree out front, away from the house, and we couldn't mow around that tree without getting attacked. Needless to say, we left them alone to do their thing until freezing winter temps sent them on their way. When they did not return for two years, I finally decided it was safe to "harvest" the bee's nest last fall, and I plan to hang it on the back porch this spring as a special "prize"!


bee's nest at heartsongfarm.blogspot.com
Bee's nest plucked from tree out front

I noticed quite a few fire ant hills scattered around in the yard and in some of the pastures, but no activity going on above ground.  Maybe fire ants are smarter than all of us and know not to take some warm late February and early March days as a sign that Spring has sprung.  I am sure that fire ants serve some purpose in the Big Scheme of Things, but the next warm weekend that comes around, I am going to sprinkle some granules of poison on their hills to greet them whenever they do decide it is time to come out.  Surprise!  Take that, you mean-spirited little so-and-so's!


heartsongfarm.blogspot.com fire ant hill
Fire ant hill in my back yard.....ARGHH!

I have finished my income taxes and have ordered my seeds for spring planting from Southern Seed Exchange. Now a trip to Lowe's is in order for purchasing lots of peat pots and some potting soil, several large plastic pots, and some fertilizer for my backyard lawn.  My Wildflower Fiber Retreat takes place this weekend, so I will have to wait until next week to get these needed items.  

I have decided that I will try growing my squash varieties in large pots this year and see if being up off the ground will keep the mildew and that yucky white mold off of them.  I will also go back to planting my eggplant (my favorite!) in large pots because I can put them under cover easier when and if there is an early frost.  I am really not one for container gardening of vegetables, but I have found that some types actually do better in a large pot, and for me, at least, eggplant is one of those.  I am interested to see how the squashes do in pots, and if it will help to extend their season for me.  I could eat squash, eggplant and tomatoes every single day!  One thing that pots do have going for them in my estimation ..... they are a whole lot easier to weed!

I will leave you with a photo of a dandelion and a "wish" from my yard to yours.  May Spring find her way soon.

heartsongfarm.blogspot.com dandelion "wish"
Dandelion and "Wish"

Wishes come true, sometimes, at HeartSong Farm!

No comments: