Saturday, March 1, 2014

Lifestyle Changes

Instead of Resolutions, I made Lifestyle Change decisions this year.  I have toyed with this path before and have succeeded with some to the point that I don’t even remember what they entailed because they have now become so ingrained in me.  I am pretty sure, though, that some of them had to do with living less expensively, allowing myself to be more creative, counting all my blessings, and trying not to stress over the little things. 

Because I am approaching the ripe old age of 65 this year and am in fairly good health as always (just slowing down a bit!), I want to make sure that I stay healthy.  My plan includes eating more consciously, getting enough rest and sleep, keeping my mind active, finding an exercise routine that really works for me, and growing even more of my own food.  None of these should be difficult to achieve (well, except maybe the exercise!), and some will be easier than others.  What is really at stake here is making them part of my lifestyle from now on, so much so that I no longer have to think about any of them.



quote on heartsongfarm.blogspot.com


By saying I want to eat more consciously, I mean that I want to slow down and really enjoy what I eat.   I want to taste all the flavors and experience the textures and aromas.  I plan on chewing my food longer and taking more time to eat even when I am on the go.  I will eat many more fresh vegetables, fruit, and experiment with cooking tofu and whole grains and eggs.  



brown yard eggs heartsongfarm.blogspot.com
Beautiful brown yard eggs

I have already begun eating much less beef, pork and even chicken as they have become less affordable, as well as much less processed food which contains way too much sodium and some very questionable and unpronounceable ingredients.  What I need and want to be able to do by the time I retire in the summer of 2016 is to live as much off of my own gardens and land as possible and yet not feel like I am doing without. 

Also, I have already begun growing more of my own food, including my first ever winter garden.  I started out growing things I was already familiar with growing and eating:  tomatoes, peppers, okra, eggplant, squash, basil, oregano and rosemary.  That was last summer.  This past fall, as I have mentioned before, I added a third bed, and planted some cold weather crops:  mustard greens, Swiss chard, beets, turnips, spinach, garlic, fava beans, and kohlrabi.  I have never grown any of these, and have never even eaten fava beans, Swiss chard, or kohlrabi.  



edible kohlrabi leaves on heartsongfarm.blogspot.com
Lovely and very edible, kohlrabi leaves


turnip harvest at heartsongfarm.blogspot.com
First turnip harvest!


Several weeks ago I received my spring seed catalog and immediately began making notes as to what I will add this year.  I already know that more beds will need to be created even if I don’t plant everything I want to try this year. 


seed catalog on heartsongfarm.blogspot.com
My beautiful and exciting seed catalog!  Order yours at
http://www.southernexposure.com


Keeping my mind active and getting enough sleep are going to be the easiest to work on, of course. Reading, spinning, knitting, sewing, writing, playing word and number games, and doing jigsaw puzzles are already in the list of activities I love to do regularly.  And, already I have begun to listen to my body and take a break or even a nap when it tells me I am running out of energy and need to be refreshed.  But going to bed a bit earlier would help, too. Falling asleep quickly is also something I would love to figure out this year.  Sometimes it will take me an hour or more to be asleep once I slide under the covers.  My mind begins to race as soon as my head hits the pillow.  Do you know how maddening this is?!  Maybe some nightly meditation is in order, with a lavender candle for ambiance.  Or a relaxing bath right before bed instead of the usual quick shower in the morning before work.

Now.... I absolutely hate the word "exercise".... as much as the word "diet."  Is it because I tend to be somewhat of a free spirit and these two words seem to go against all I embrace?!  These two words seem to reek with structure and discipline, and one is associated with a definite amount of sweat....another word that I do not care for much in the literal sense.  However I do admit that I very much need to be more "active" now and into the future, and that word I can more easily co-exist with than that other one.  So I will strive to be much more active this year so that my poor knees will be more flexible and to lessen the burden I have gradually placed on them over the past decade or two. I prefer not to have to go through any kind of joint replacement!  Gardening will a be a great way to add more activity to my schedule.  Two birds with one stone....Yes!  I like it!  And maybe I will finally take up yoga....

So all of these things are very doable.  They are not so specific that I will feel guilty for not achieving them, and, in fact, they are generic enough that I can easily praise myself for even the smallest headway I make along the weeks and months ahead!  I need more praise in my life, and much less guilt.  How about you?!

There are more life changes I intend to make in the years to come, but for now this is plenty to keep me busy.

If we go slowly and steadily, and go where our hearts' desire, we find ways to get back to the places we love and do the things we love. Slowly and steadily, magic happens. ~ Martha Beck 

Slow and steady is the way to go at HeartSong Farm!


4 comments:

Unknown said...

I find beauty in simple things sometimes, and the seed catalog cover is truly gorgeous. Because I love poring over the seed catalogs, anyway, I've ordered the Southern Exposure Seed Exchange you recommended. We're already planted much of our garden, but there's always room for a little more, right? Happy planting!

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comment, Wanda, and happy gardening to you! Not only is the cover lovely, wait to you see what's inside. Lots of heirloom varieties and some with very interesting stories to tell that make for fun reading, and the business is run by environmentally conscious people which makes it The Best!

Unknown said...

Hi Aunt Sally! Mom shared your blog with me. :) I love your lifestyle change ideas. I've been wanting to start a vegetable garden, and I'm thinking I'll dip my toes in the water this year and try planting a few things....as soon as it quits snowing! :)

Love,
Jen

Unknown said...

Jen! Glad you found my blog! Your mom & I are both gardeners & I bet you are too.