Sunday, December 28, 2014

It was a merry little Christmas!

And stockings were hung by the chimney with care ... 

We had a very merry little Christmas here on HeartSong Farm this past week!  The key words for my little family of creatures and two grown sons is Moderation and Tradition.

On Christmas Eve, for instance, I watch "Steel Magnolias" and put out a tray for the creatures in my yard to enjoy (unless it is raining, and then it goes out on the next available clear night).  I make some snacks like hummus, deviled eggs, and spinach dip for Ben and myself.  There may be something hot to drink like mulled wine or cocoa if it is truly cold outside.  I hang our two stockings and dust off the carved Santas that were made for me by my Daddy over the years.

I have not put up a tree since my divorce.  I sold the family tree in a garage sale when I first moved to East Texas.  A few years ago, I bought one on sale at Lowe's, complete with lights already strung upon it.  It is still in the box, never opened, and some years I think of putting it up, but, so far, the closest I have come to that was when I have propped up the box in a corner of the den!

heartsongfarm.blogspot.com
Last year's tray for the critters.

Christmas morning finds me waking not too early, but certainly earlier than Mr. Ben!  While the coffee is brewing, I see a gift or two from Ben on the counter top or on the coffee table, and my stocking hanging stuffed on the mantel!  I sit down in the quiet and drink my first cup, with as many cats in my lap as will fit, listening to the holiday music playing on my DirecTV station.  Peace on Earth is my prayer, and I think how Life is Good for me.

In a bit, I will go outside and see what is left of the treat tray for the critters who passed by in the night.  Some Christmases there is little left, some it is hardly touched.  But, I know that my offering was appreciated and enjoyed by those who came across it, and I smile.

Eldest son, Matt, calls mid-morning from wherever it is that he is living.  The last two years, it has been Sacramento, CA.  It has been a number of years since he has been able to spend Christmas Day with us in person, but a phone call is a wonderful substitute, and now we have SKYPE (if we can remember to use it!).

Ben wakes late morning because our Christmas Day Tradition will begin around noon-thirty.  He grabs a cup of coffee and heads out to his outside "man cave" to wake up.  He is not awake, really, until he has finished that first cup, outside, and by himself.  My Daddy was just like that!

Santas that my Daddy carved and painted for me through the years.  Each is based on an historic
depiction of the jolly old fellow, and they hang out on my mantel all year long.

When he comes back inside, we exchange our gifts and delight in our stockings.  Hugs are exchanged, as well as smiles.  Then it is time to get dressed for our favorite part of Christmas Day, our special Tradition .... a movie and IHOP!  

This year, the movie was "The Hobbit" first, and then early supper at our local IHOP branch.  God bless those folks at the International House of Pancakes who stay open and serve all of those who love to gather at a local restaurant with family and friends on Christmas Day.  Ben and I appreciate you very much as a huge part of our Christmas Tradition.

This Christmas I was blessed with some awesome gifts:  a nice bonus from my boss, gift cards from my boys and a surprise one from a dear friend, a basket full of new dishtowels, lots and lots of chocolate, and an awesome new kitchen knife.

Thanks for my new knife, Judy!  I really love it!

But, for me it is not the gifts, it is about the enduring love of my family and friends that reminds me that life is indeed good.  It should be a time to stop and reflect on this goodness in our lives, and to slow down and enjoy what we have been given by so many, past and present!  Crowded malls and stressful shopping do not apply!



Here at HeartSong Farm, we hope that you have had a happy and wonderful holiday season, and that the new year is most kind to you all.


Life is very good here on HeartSong Farm!


2 comments:

Liza said...

Great job keeping it simple, Sara! (Watch out for that knife though!)The Santas are fabulous...how gifted your father was with his craft.

Unknown said...

Liza, my Daddy was very gifted in many ways and I have many handcarved treasures as well as handcrafted furniture pieces that he made through the years!

As for the knife, Judy has informed me that from now on she will only give me spoons!