Sunday, September 28, 2014

Falling into Fall

"Mare's tail" clouds above the metal roof of the log home on HeartSong Farm.

Fall has always been my favorite of the year's seasonal cycles.  I love the feel of the air as the temperatures begin to change, cooling down from those of the summer.  It is crisp and vibrant, matching the colors of foliage beginning to change into a fall wardrobe, and the fragrance of fall produce like apples, pears and oranges.  There is the hint of wood smoke in the air which brings a smile as I look forward to being inside for the next few months where I will spend good times baking and making soups and stews.  It is the Autumn time that makes me feel most domestic, a feeling that carries over into the winter, until the seed catalogs arrive and I begin to plan my spring garden.  And, of course, it is the time of football.

One of many butterflies that have passed through on their fall migration this year.

But, more than anything else, Fall is a time where I look back as well as forward, before the hibernation of winter sets in.  I look around and see what I have accomplished and what I have left unfinished, what the future holds and what parts of the past I can finally put aside.  There is excitement, joy and sadness.  I always get a bit down and depressed as Fall approaches during the last weeks of Summer.  This year was no different.  I have to let it all wash over me and play itself out, trusting that on the other side of my intense gloom is that blue sky, the crispness in the air, and homemade soups to be enjoyed.

During this time, I lean heavily on dear friends, and on the following quotation attributed to Julian of Norwich, a mystic of the British Isles who lived from 1342 to 1416.

"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well." 

One reason for my depression is that September is the month my first son was born 37 years ago.  He has been away from home, on his own, since 1997, and I have not gotten to see him even once a year since then because of where he has lived and worked.  We talk often, usually for an hour or so, but it really isn't the same as seeing him, hugging him, or cooking for him!  September also brings back other memories that haunt me and are not for these pages.  

Recently, my friend, Elik, shared a Navajo prayer chant with me that has really touched my soul. When I step out onto my back porch, feel the fresh air around me, and look out over my back pasture, I cannot help but know its truth:  "All around me, my land is Beauty."  I am blessed. 

The back porch at HeartSong Farm.  The door next to the porch swing leads to my bedroom.  The
door to the far left goes into the den and kitchen.


As I look towards the back pasture, the back pasture looks back at me!  That's Texanna in the forefront, with Moonshadow on the left, and Armando on the right.  Reading their thoughts is quite easy:  "Does she have the white bucket of treats with her? Huh?  Huh?"
The goldenrod is blooming, attracting butterflies first, and later, finches and
cardinals will enjoy the tiny seeds.


Cardinal vine, morning glory, and coral bells bloom on the arbor near the
back porch, inviting bees and hummingbirds from late summer into fall.

During this past week, as the official beginning of Fall arrived, I was brought out of my depression by two things. First, there was lunch with friend, Judy, who is a great listener and is always supportive.  She is also talented at making me laugh even when I think I can't.  Second was the first sighting in town on Monday, and later in the week outside my bedroom window, of the annual blooming of "naked ladies"!  Some people know them as spider lilies, but many of us in the South grew up calling them "naked ladies" because they pop up almost overnight and have no visible leaves.  

Spider lilies, aka "naked ladies," outside my bedroom window.

I love how they appear magically.  How can you not smile when you see them?!  Especially when you have completely forgotten they are there until, all of a sudden, there they are!  And they are so joyful-looking!

I have a wonderful memory of these Fall flowers that centers around my Daddy, who had a very wicked sense of humor.  When I was about 5 years old, in Shreveport, Louisiana, my Daddy said he wanted to show us something after church.  Something, he said, that he had seen on Friday on his way to and from work.  

My mother rode in the front seat of our old "Woodie" station wagon, dressed primly for church as usual, while two of my brothers and I rode in the back seat.  We rounded the corner in an old residential area and pulled up in front of a charming white house with a yard completely covered in spidery red flowers, so many that hardly any green grass was visible anywhere.  It was what we would label "totally awesome" today.  And my Daddy said:

"Have you ever seen so many naked ladies in all your life?!  I know I haven't!"

And my mother hit him with her purse and said:  "Take us home right now, Edwin!"  My Daddy turned around in the driver's seat and grinned.  My brothers and I giggled in the back seat all the way home.  


Fall is here on HeartSong Farm!

5 comments:

Cyndi said...

Ha ha! Cute! So glad you are climbing out of the depression and doing well. Thank you, Judy! Can't wait until January!!!

Unknown said...

Sara,
As always, your bog is a delight to view and read. The photographs are stunningly beautiful and your wonderful descriptions of all, well-written and a joy to read.

Your farm is flourishing as a result of of your love and care. Ahh...lovely, just lovely.

And, yes, "All around me my land is beauty."

Elik

Unknown said...

Sara, your column was insightful, nostalgic and delightful. Autumn, too, is my favorite season and for many of the reasons you stated. You motivate me to read the history of the people you quoted in this blog. I look forward to more postings.

Wanda

Unknown said...

I appreciate all the kind words and comments Cyndi, Elik and Wanda! I will continue to write if you will continue to read!

S.A.B.L.E. said...

Once again, I enjoyed the read.
Yes indeed we are lucky as not many folks get a chance to live like this.