Sunday, January 5, 2014

What’s in a name?

There is a reason why my farm is named HeartSong.  It came to it honestly.  My patch of ground literally  makes my heart sing!  My Celtic roots have subconsciously instilled a sense of belonging to the land and the importance of having my own piece of it.  As I walk about my place, all 5.61 acres of it, I feel a sense of peace.  As I mow, seed, disc, fertilize I feel a sense of purpose.  These acres are mine!


At the backyard gate of HeartSong Farm
At the backyard gate of HeartSong Farm


This is not the first HeartSong Farm.  The very first, though it was never officially named, was 30 years ago in central Illinois.  It, too, was around 5 acres, and was a first attempt, a trial run if you will, by me and my husband to live outside of town away from the hustle and bustle of subdivisions and strip malls.  He wanted to be able to hunt on his own land, and I wanted to plant and raise things.  We did a little of both, even built a barn and a pair of pastures.  He hunted squirrels, rabbits and pheasant.  I raised ducks and geese and 2 lambs along with my two young sons and a tri-colored collie named Fancy.  We were located between corn and soybean fields to the south and a hog farm to the north, on a small rise of land that caught the fierce winter wind and snow.  We were there for only 3 years before being transferred again, back to the suburbs and city life, but we began to look for “our dream farm” in the Ozarks during that time period.  I do not know how truly serious he was about that dream farm, but I know I was!  I dreamed of homegrown vegetables, chickens, guineas, ducks and geese…of horses, sheep and goats and ….. llamas! 

Our next stop was the Nashville, TN, area in another subdivision and there I practiced growing flowers and shrubs and playing with landscaping.  Then in another 3 or 4 years we were in Connecticut where almost everyone is a gardener and the weather and soil are amazing.  The short growing season caused everything to bloom with gusto and I practiced growing all kinds of wonderful English garden flowers and plants among the rock ledges and stone walls on our 2 acre lot in a small town along the shoreline.  From May to October there were numerous u-pick farms where I experienced the joy of picking my own blueberries, apples, plums, peaches and pears.  The fresh just-picked flavor was wonderful and I wanted my own fruit trees on my dream farm.  We went to a local farm and picked out our Thanksgiving turkey each year and I decided that the taste and texture of a fresh, never-frozen bird for our holiday table would be a must from then on.

The time came to leave Connecticut and we had found that dream farm in the central Missouri Ozarks.  The big move was made in April of 1997 to 344 acres of wonderful rolling fenced and cross-fenced countryside, half wooded and half open, with 11 ponds, a house with full length front and back porches for sunrise and sunset viewing, and a substantial barn….out in the middle of nowhere!  For me it was heaven on earth, truly!

This place called out to be named and, for me, HeartSong was more than perfect.  My heart sang loud and joyously of the fresh air, the possibilities, the freedom, and the wide open spaces.  I ordered my chickens, guineas, ducks and geese and they arrived before I even had a place for them.  Big mistake, but they survived and thrived.  I planted a small vegetable garden and some flowers and dreamed of where I would put what, and when I would acquire the livestock and life was good, it seemed, on HeartSong Farm.

But apparently not so for my husband who was entering his mid-life crisis (I suppose), and by August of that same year, after almost 26 years of marriage, he decided he would be leaving, and HeartSong Farm came crashing down around me.  Hopes, dreams, joys ……swept away from me like dust before a broom.  I tried to hold on.  I pretended I could survive all by myself on my “dream farm.”  I went ahead and bought my foundation herd of six female llamas, and my herd sire, Smokin’ Jaguar.  I watched the seasons change, I grieved for what was lost, and by the summer of 1998, with the divorce final, I gave in to the appeals of my parents to come back to East Texas to take care of them in their old age.  But I was determined that I would  be bringing my llamas!

Llamas at HeartSong Farm at heartsongfarm.blogspot.com
Lulu & Razzle in back pasture of HeartSong Farm

And I did bring my llamas with me to a new farm, a much smaller and less picturesque farm but one that I could afford and handle on my own.  And I named it HeartSong!  It has taken quite a number of years for that name to feel right for this patch of land.  It certainly is not my “dream farm” by any stretch of the imagination, but it has grown on me and I have grown to love and embrace it.  


Barn swallow nest on back porch ceiling  at heartsongfarm.blogspot.com
Barn swallow nest on back porch ceiling
 of HeartSong Farm


I sit in the back porch swing and look out over the back pasture and watch llamas graze and interact.  I see the foxes come out of the dense woods at the back fence line, I hear the coyotes yipping at night.  I watch vultures circle on the air currents in the sky above me while dragonflies cruise over the pasture grasses during the day and fireflies dance in the summer twilight.  And each fall for the past five years, a red-shouldered hawk I have named “Token” returns to spend its winter and grace my world. 



Life is good here at HeartSong Farm. 



Red Shouldered Hawk hunting in front pasture at heartsongfarm.blogspot.com
Red Shouldered Hawk hunting in front pasture of
HeartSong Farm
Red fox in pasture on HeartSong Farm at heartsongfarm.blogspot.com
Red fox in pasture on HeartSong Farm


No comments: